This recipe was adapted from two of our favourite recipe sources, Nourished Kitchen, and also from Shannon Hayes’ The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook, along with some tips from “Food Lab” guru Kenji Lopez-Alt. Grassfed beef roasts should not be overcooked, as they tend to have less fat and can dry out if cooked at too high a temperature for too long. It’s not recommended to cook them any further than medium rare (120-125F). It should also be cooked with moisture, which makes it a great pairing for cooking root veggies at the same time!
For extra seasoning, try with the Garlic-Herb Rub recipe.
Roast beef makes a lovely family or friend dinner, and of course – great leftover sandwiches to enjoy with saurkraut! For best results, season roast and place on a rack on rimmed baking sheet uncovered in the refrigerator at least overnight, and up to 3 days. Try Lopez-Alt’s recommendation to sear the roast at the end of cooking – resulting in perfectly medium-rare meat from the edge, with a deep-brown crust that adds some great flavour.
- CourseMain Dish
- CuisineFamily Dinner, Grassfed Beef, Slow-Cooked Meals
Servings: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 2-3 lb Fresh Roots Farm Grassfed Beef Roast (cross-rib, sirloin, round)
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5 medium carrots peeled & chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 medium parsnips peeled & chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium turnips peeled & chopped into bite-sized pieces (option to add potatoes instead)
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried thyme (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 1.5 cups dry red wine optional (but gives an excuse for tasting while it cooks)
- 1 cup beef stock (made with Fresh Roots Farm Grassfed Beef Soup bones!)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter for searing at end of cooking
- Season roast with salt and pepper, and place on a rack on rimmed baking sheet uncovered in the refrigerator at least overnight, and up to 3 days.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Place vegetables in Dutch Oven or roasting pan and the roast on top of them. Add seasoning and pour liquids into pan.
- Reduce oven heat to 275F when placing roast in oven, in covered Dutch Oven. Roast until center of roast reaches 120F for medium-rare (or if preferred, 130F for medium), about one to one and a half hours. Remove from oven and transfer to cutting board.
- Heat some oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy-bottomed stainless steel or cast-iron skillet over high heat until the butter is browned and the fat is lightly smoking. Add the roast and sear on all sides until well browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat if oil and butter are beginning to burn or smoke too heavily. Transfer roast to cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve into thin slices and serve, with accompanying vegetables!
Fresh Roots Farm Grassfed Beef Roasts can currently be purchased in the following packages:
- Grassfed Slow Cooker Pack
- $100 Grassfed Beef Variety Pack
- $200 Grassfed Beef Variety Pack
- Quarter (Split Half) Grassfed Beef
- Half Grassfed Beef
See more info and place your order at: https://freshrootsfarmmb.com/order-food/