Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for Grassfed Leg of Lamb! Order Fresh Roots Farm leg of lamb today, either by the cut, or as included in a half or whole lamb (click here for pricing and ordering details)
Tender, juicy lamb roast infused with rosemary and garlic is sure to please! Contrary to popular belief, preparing a leg of lamb roast doesn’t have to be difficult, or complicated. The key is not to overcook, keeping an eye on internal temperature for preferred doneness.
Servings: 3-4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Passive Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2-3 lbs Fresh Roots Farm bone-in leg (cross-cut) of lamb www.freshrootsfarmmb.com/orderfood to order!
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or lard, coconut oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup beef or lamb stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or substitute cooking sherry
- 1 cup yellow onions diced
- Ideally, thaw lamb roast overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil or cooking fat on stovetop. Briefly sear all sides of the roast until browned, on medium-high heat (about 5 minutes).
- Rub lemon juice all over lamb roast. Season the meat with salt, pepper and place garlic and rosemary all over meat surface. Place in Dutch Oven or roasting pan and add stock, red wine, and diced onions.
- Decrease oven heat to 325F and roast covered for approx. 1.5-2 hours, or until internal temperature (careful not to touch the bone!) reaches 120-130F.
- Once desired temperature is reached (120F for rare, 140F well done), remove roast from pan and rest tented for 10-15 minutes, before slicing.
- Reduce stock and wine sauce on stovetop, and serve with leg roast. Enjoy!
The leg of lamb roast is what made Troy and I fall in love with lamb. We soon discovered that, as long as it is cooked at not too high of a temperature, it doesn’t have to be a difficult dish to prepare, but is so tender and enjoyable! We now often treat ourselves to a leg as Sunday dinner, using this simple garlic & rosemary recipe, or Leg of Lamb with Mint Sauce!
Click here to order Grassfed Leg of Lamb from Fresh Roots Farm today! Leg of Lamb is available by the cut, or as a half or whole lamb purchase. Our lambs are raised with care, on lush southwestern Manitoba pastures, without the use of antibiotics or hormones. Thanks for supporting your local farmers!