This recipe is a quick and easy medley of flavours, best enjoyed with some plain yogurt and mint sauce, and sourdough or regular pitas/flatbread! Enjoy on the BBQ or broil in the oven.
This recipe was adapated from the “Grassfed Gourmet” cookbook by Shannon Hayes. Omit the cornmeal for a corn-free version. See Michelle’s local ‘springtime greens’ substitutions!
This recipe is quick and easy, basically “ground lamb on a stick”! Reminiscent of Lebanese and Moroccan-based koftas, you can change the spices to reflect Middle Eastern flavours, or a more local ingredient-based “corn dog” type treat! Note: Ideally, soak wooden skewers for a few hours beforehand.
- CourseMain Dish
- CuisineBarbeque, Family Dinner, Gluten-Free, Grassfed Lamb
Servings: 4-5 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cooked rice or oats could be substituted)
- 1 egg, beaten Try Fresh Roots Farm Free Range Eggs!
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce fresh or canned
- 1.5 tsp lemon pepper (I substituted 1/2 cup chopped fresh garden sorrel, for the lemon-y flavour!)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced (I used fresh lovage from the garden as substitute!)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp stone-ground cornmeal plus extra for coating
- 1 lb Fresh Roots Farm bone-in leg (cross-cut) of lamb
- Stir together the quinoa, egg, tomato sauce, lemon pepper, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, and cornmeal; add the lamb, mix well. Shape into approximately 10 oblong balls. Press the balls onto skewers, and roll them in the extra cornmeal. Grill or broil 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Fresh Roots Farm Grassfed Ground Lamb is available by the package (seasonally only) or in one of the following packages:
– Whole Grassfed Lamb
– Half Grassfed Lamb
– Grassfed Lamb Taster Pack
– Grassfed Lamb Grilling Pack