Adapted from “The Food Lab” by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
Find a great chimichurri sauce by Wildly Delicious
This is a great, fresh-tasting sauce to enjoy with a variety of steaks – enjoy a higher-quality ribeye or t-bone and serve the sauce on top when served, or use a flank or hanger steak and marinate in the ingredients beforehand. This is the original steak sauce from Argentina – where they know their grass-fed beef!
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 1-3 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 8 oz (1/5 lb) Fresh Roots Farm Grassfed Steak Any steak will work, adjust cooking method accordingly. Can also use 2-3 x 1lb steaks
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 shallots thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- unrefined sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Chimichurri Sauce – makes about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced or grated on a microplane (about 4 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- For higher quality steaks, including: ribeye, Porterhouse, T-bone, striploin, tenderloin – remove steaks from freezer to sit at room temperature about 1/2 hour before cooking. For other steaks, including: flank, hanger, round, tri-tip – thaw and marinate with thyme, garlic, shallots & EVOO for 2 hours, or overnight. Rest of recipe as follows:
Chimichurri Sauce Recipe Instructions
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour before serving. The chimichurri can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Pre-heat BBQ on high, then turn down to low before placing steaks on grill. Apply olive oil to grill or cast-iron skillet, if pan-frying. Add steaks to skillet/grill and sear until well browned on all sides, turning with tongs, about 2 minutes total.
- Transfer steaks to a large plate, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the chimichurri.
Grassfed Steaks available for order in the following packages:
- Grassfed Beef Grilling Pack
- $100 Grassfed Beef Variety Pack
- $200 Grassfed Beef Variety Pack
- Quarter (split half) Grassfed Beef
- Half Grassfed Beef